Skip to main content

The Non-Dilli Wala

The idea to start sharing my experiences came to my mind a few months after I moved to Gurgaon - sometime back in October 2017. I was in Gurgaon way back in 2004 and when I moved out of the city in 2006, I had made a promise to myself - never to come back here for another job, no matter how lucrative it would be. But then you can't change what destiny has in store for you and here I was back in the city one hot summer day in May 2017. The first 6 months went by, settling in the new city,  getting comfortable with my new job, looking for a school for Kashvi, finding a gym in the neighborhood and getting back to the life I was used to. Thanks to Gurgaon, its infrastructure and my flexible work schedule, I had some time to think what I wanted out of life. From there on it was a trial and error process engaging with multiple people and activities and at the end narrowed down on - a) heritage walks, b) cycling and c) yoga and fitness. These 3 (along with my family) have become an i

Heritage Walk "Keeda" - Genesis

Who doesn’t like exploring their heritage and seeing monuments, and what better way to do this, but by foot - as coined by my dear friend Rajat, "Chalte Bano" (gotakeawalk).  Especially if you are in a city like Delhi which has a lot to offer, like great history, empires, religion, timeless monuments, and sacrifices. Combine Old Delhi and New Delhi, and the list becomes endless - a perfect retreat for any retrophile.

My first experience with Heritage walks, dates back to June 2017, when I was coaxed into joining a walk organized by Delhi Karavan, titled " Ramzaan Ki Bahaar: Jumma Iftaar Walk". I still remember alighting from the metro and finding our way in those crowded lanes soaked with festivity. It was one such evening when Delhi Karavan organized a grand iftaar for its musafirs at Jama Masjid followed by dinner at Al-Jawahar. This once in a year walk exposed me to the bylanes of Purani Dilli and the many stories that the city had to offer. Thus began the journey of Walks, which continues till date and hope to share some throwbacks and upcoming walks here going forward.



Given my experience, a Heritage Walk is the bare minimum one can do for himself/herself, to begin to love the city in all its diversity. Every time I have embarked on these walks, I have traveled through time - from the Khilji's to the Tughlaq's to the Lodhi's to the Mughal rule and to the British colonization, and how such historic episodes impacted the people, culture, food, architecture, language, trade and arts.





Comments